My previous posting on this topic related some information I gleaned at a
lecture on brain research.  In addition to discussing dopamine and addiction
he mentioned something else I found very interesting.

Did you know that the antibodies that are created by the immune system to
fight strep throat can inflict damage on other parts of the body including
the heart and the brain.  Before the days of antibiotics (thank heavens I'm
not old enough to remember those days) children who recovered from strep
throat would often develop an ailment call St. Vitus's Dance.  The
antibodies would attack a part of the brain (which the lecturer called the
substantia) and cause terrible motor dysfunctions such as uncontolled arm
waving and tremors.

I remember having strep throat about the time my PD could have begun.  I
remember it clearly because I developed it on a ski trip to Colorado and
could not understand why I had no stamina and was exhausted on the first few
days of a 6 day trip.

Does anyone know of any research in this area or whether I have completely
misunderstood the lecturer.  I suppose I should do a little research on St.
Vitus's dance.

                        Ron Reiner (49/2)