BillyBaird writes:

At 04:50 PM 5/4/97 -0400, you wrote:
>It seems strange, but after smoking heavily for what, 40 years or
>so, I decided to quit, and quit I did.  Then, 2 years after
>quiting, I got Parkinsons.  Does this mean that I would not have
>developed Parkinsons had I continued smoking?  I think not.  I am
>beginning to think that, like everything else, Parkinsons is
>present for a reason.  Anyone want to try a guess at what the
>reason might be?

According to some studies, smoking does reduce your chances of contracting
Parkinsons.  I am beginning to wonder whether it is smoking that decreases
it or quitting smoking that increases it.  I too smoked for many years (3-4
packs a day).  Maybe after all those years of fake dopamine, our systems
have simply forgotten how to make dopamine.

I'm tempted to take it up again sometimes.  However, my wife would cut out
my heart and lungs with a pocketknife and then leave me (to take care of the
cats by myself).

                Ron Reiner (49/2)