Brian writes:

At 09:33 PM 5/4/97 -0400, you wrote:
>On Sun 04 May, Ron Reiner wrote:
>

>Hello Ron,  I have just finished boggling at your post on Dopamine and
>Addiction. I find the doctor's story very hard to believe. For a start, I
>thought that the molecules that dock into the pleasure centres of the brain
>are called endorphins, not Dopamine. (Or is the Doc saying that Dopamine is
>generated by the action of the endorphin docking?
>  Secondly the Dopamine manufacturing plant which we are concered with has
>all of its output dedicated to the axons which regulate the operation of=
 our
>musculature, and they do not have contact with the pleasure centres. It is
>my understanding that the neuro-transmitter used in most of the brain is
>acetylcholine, not dopamine.
>   I must admit that in the case of the levedopa which we get from our
>tablets, that could I suppose wind up its journey anywhere in the brain.
>However, it is still levodopa, not Dopamine, and again; the
>conversion to dopamine only occurs at certain points.
>     And finally - and this is what really bugs me,- after 17 years of
>taking levodopa I ought to  have become totally=A0depressed and totally
>desensitised to dopamine, and neither of these are true.=20
>--  =20
>Brian Collins=20
><[log in to unmask]>                                  =20

Brian:

Your points are well taken.  I agree that there is something fishy going on
with the Doctor's story.  However, please note that I am the one who used
the term "pleasure center."  Dr. Himen referred to is as that part of the
brain which says "That feels good, lets remember how we did it."  This may
be different from the pleasure center.

Also, there does appear to be a link between onset of PD and smoking.  There
are even rumors that nicotinic based substances reduce symptoms. =20

If we figure a way to reconcile your story with Dr. Himen's we'll be a lot
smarter.

                Ron  (49/2)