I am yet another ex smoker who was diagnosed with PD shortly
after quitting the habit. In my case the diagnosis was made about
6 months after I had stopped smoking as part of my plan to "get
myself really fit" (irony is not an attitude-its a fact of life). Once again
in my case, quitting was not the cause of my PD as I had been
exhibiting the early signs of the condition for some years. I presented
with a cramped left hand and a 'strained muscle' in my left arm-the
hand cramp had been around and getting worse for about two years
prior to diagnosis. I had also experienced what I now clearly recognise
as PD 'off' days, on at least two occassions in the previous three years,
and on a single day 6 months before quitting found myself slowing from
a normal walk to a dead stop 4 times during a walk of about 5 kms. That
experience puzzled me at the time but as it didn't recur I put it in the
"ain't
life strange" part of my brain and 'forgot' about it until after PD-Day.

All of which makes me quite sure in myself that I, at least, had PD prior
to quitting smoking.  However in the first 2 1/2  years after quitting, my
symptoms increased rapidly, to the point where I was diagnosed within 6
months and required medication to function well enough to stay employed
2 years after being diagnosed.  The nicotine (or some other active agent)
appears to have had either a masking or suppressing effect.

As quitting smoking seems to have been a factor in the early stages
of many listmembers PD, it would be interesting to quantify it. To that
end I propose a 'Straw Poll' on the subject. I will collect the data and
report my 'findings' to the list.  Obviously this is intended as a 'for
interests
sake' exercise and in no way claims to be a scientific survey.

So if anyone who considers quitting was a factor in their PD would drop
me a (short please) line, I will do the rest.

Dennis.

Dennis Greene 47/10