Rita Weeks wrote:

Might I offer a suggestion that multiple copies of the form and list of
drugs be taken to the hospital....copies to be taped to the bed or to the
door in the room.

>I am horrified and amazed at the number of health care providers in the
>hospital who have NOT read the information in the chart!

Thanks to the advice Rita gave us last year, I have made copies of essential
information that goes with us whenever we go for medical treatment. I also
keep a copy in the car, and one in my desk to pick up fast in case an
ambulance is needed. This packet includes Neal's meds and its schedule, the
list of contraindicated drugs, information about doctors, insurance, and
next of kin, and a copy of his Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care
Decisions.

We been very grateful for the helpful advice in the past from Rita, Camilla,
and others about ensuring the best possible care for our hospitalized PWPs.
I have learned that being quiet and submissive can be dangerous at times for
those we care for. Recently, my husband was hospitilized for the first in a
series of three spinal epidural procedures, to be carried out under general
anesthesia. I took along copies of his meds, and a copy of the list of
dangerous drugs and a bunch of concerns. I had been assured by the doctor
and the hospital (which I visited before the day he was admitted,) that the
anesthesiologist would consult with us before the procedure. Ha! Suddenly my
husband was whisked away and vanished into the OR. After I got my jaw closed
and quit sputtering, I put on my best assertiveness demeanor and demanded
action. I gathered this was a first in the experience of this hospital. At
least the puzzled nurse, who was summoned from OR to see what I was fussing
about, promised to take my list of drugs and meds in to show the
anesthesiologist.

Two weeks later, however, when we appeared for the second epidural, we got
lots of attention. My list was actually requested, read and discussed with
us in detail before Neal went to the OR. That's progress!

It is difficult to change long-standing procedures that have worked well,
but when the patient can be harmed by failing to listen to legitimate
concerns, we are justified in politely disrupting their comfortable routine.

Martha Rohrer (CG for Neal, 77/12)