Kathy Kunz wrote:

> To Walter, Charlie, et al,
>
> Whoa...about this "lying" business.  I haven't seen any statement where
> the Pope said he didn't have PD.  In fact, don't I remember--around the
> New Year or  so (always lowing for my being mistaken due to PD's
> purported effect of short term memory loss)--a lot of people kvetching
> because the Pope referred to embracing this "blessing" of his?   And
> they didn't regard it as such, etc.?
>
>  And I didn't say Billy  Graham had the right to tell us what to do; I'm
> with Dennis in thinking it's a standoff.  As for it taking just a small
> amount of time, I don't think you realize that once he starts,  there
> will be a constant stream of requests to comment, appear, etc.  Those
> wielding guilt trips are like that.  Do I wish all afflicted celebrities
>  would  lend their weight to the cause?  Sure, the more the merrier, but
> I don't think it's right to imply they are ignoring moral imperatives or
> lying when they don't speak out, just because they are celebrities.
>
> Kathy Kunz
Kathy,

Regarding the Pope I believe that around Christmas someone from the
Vatican admitted that he had PD or as I believe he put it
"extrapyramyidal disease"  which was then denied by official
spokespersons.  If I have my facts straight- and I think I do that meets
my definition of lying.  He did talk about his little gift but I wish he
might have been more direct.

Billy Graham bothers me more though.  I don't expect him to suddenly
join PAN and join us arm-in-arm picketing Congress or the FDA.  But I do
wish that when he is being interviewed about his life as well as his
theology that he would acknowledge his obvious struggle rather than
trying to hide his symptoms.  For example when they had the shot (on 20
20) of him walking with his wife and Hugh Downs it certainly appeared to
me that he and his wife held hands to minimize his movement problem.  It
seems to me tha Graham is either denying his illness or is ashamed of it
and is trying to hide it.  In spite of good that he may have done in the
past and continues to do I think we are seeing a character flaw- which
is harmful to PWP.  He is mortal like the rest of us and being wrong is
part of the human condition but I really think he has blown it on this
one.
--
CHARLES T. MEYER, M.D.
MADISON, WISCONSIN