(6 May 97)
Fatigue in PD: I have posted comments here before about my personal
experience with fatigue. Striking that it is mentioned frequently
by members of the PD listserv, but almost never in the literature
about PD. The Merck Manual briefly mentions "chronic fatigue
syndrome" but has little to say. In my experience the fatigue (more
accurately, lack of endurance) is real, accompanied by increased
breathing and pulse rate, but also by muscle pain. The pain is not
in the muscles that have been used, but in the thoracic region of
the back. Contrary to Brian Collins' recent note, it seems to go
with undermedication rather than overmedication. Temporarily
advancing the Sinemet (levodopa) schedule usually relieves the pain.

In hindsight, this condition may have preceded my diagnosis of PD
by 2 decades or more. I used to be an avid mountain hiker and
backpacker, going out for 10 or 15 miles in a day without distress.
Then about 1985 I began to notice, when with a group of similar
experience, I was having trouble keeping up. Sometimes on a solo
trip I would be so tired by lunchtime that I gave up and went back.
I thought this merely indicated I was "out of shape" so I started
doing things like the RCAF BX-5 workouts, or skipping rope, etc.,
but it didn
Lately I've been wondering if this "fatigue" is a failure of parts
of the autonomous nervous system, that accompanies the central
nervous system symptoms of PD. As you know, dopamine is ubiquitous
in the body, made for example in the adrenal glands, and it must
have many important functions beside those in the basal ganglia.
So far, just a notion, although the autonomous system is getting
a little attention from PD researchers (an assortment of 12 reports
was made at the XII International Symposium 6 weeks or so ago).

Cheers,
Joe

J. R. Bruman (818) 789-3694
3527 Cody Road