Clay Felts wrote:

> I got no response from the message below so I will ask another way.
> Does anyone have a suggestion of where I might get such information.
>
> Thanks
>
> ==Clay==

Clay-

doing this off the top of my head I may miss something or make an error
or 2 but here goes-

The anticholenergic meds are the oldest used for PD
they include artane(trihexyphenydil), cogentin(benztropine) and some
others.  They work by inhibiting cholenergic nerve transmission which is
a system that is in balance with dopamine.

L-dopa is a precursor of dopamine.  By giving L-dopa dopamine is made by
the cells in the substantia nigra (which are dying in PD) at an
increased rate and amount.  Therefore as long as there are cells left to
convert the l-dopa to dopamine the l-DOPA works.

There are drugs that inhibit the breakdown of L-dopa - carbidopa which
is part of sinemet which inhibits the breakdown of the drug outside of
the Brain.  And eldepryl(deprenyl, selegeline) which acts both as an
inhibitor of an enzyme that breaks down dopamine in the brain and as an
antioxidant which may protect against cell loss.  There are also 2 drugs
coming on the market tolcapone and etacapone which inhibit another
breakdown path of l-dopa (COMT inhibitors)

Then there are the agonists, drugs that work like dopamine at the site
of the receptor(the site of action of the l-dopa)  Amatadine is I
believe a weak one(Symetrel)then Parlodel (bromocryptine) and
Permax(pergolide) as well as the new ones mentioned just about to come
out- pramipexol  and several others.
Does anybody have any additions or corrections.

Charlie
--
CHARLES T. MEYER, M.D.
MADISON, WISCONSIN