----------
> Fra: Phil Gesotti <[log in to unmask]>
> Til: Multiple recipients of list PARKINSN <[log in to unmask]>
> Emne: Models for PD
> Dato: 26. april 1997 04:52
>
> First of all thanks to all of you who have welcomed me to the
> club. Wish I could say it was great to be here, but bad times
> can bring out the best in people. I think it is the case here.
>
> Question for Gray Miller or any of you other techies. Have any of
> you come across a feedback control system model of the sensing
> and muscle control elements affected by Parkinsons disease?
> In this early stage of the disease for me it seems that the
> loss of sensing function is what causes part of the symptoms.
>
> It would seem to me that the biomedical engineering types
> should have such a model by this point. It also seems to
> me that one could use electronic sensing elements to detect
> rigidity and tremor and use this to electrically stimulate
> muscles with the same type of device used for muscle spasms.
>
> I could probably tolerate electrodes on my shoulder or neck.
> I'm not sure I'm ready to have my head wired for cable.
>
> Just some wacky thoughts. I have these at night.
>
> Any leads on some tech info that doesn't get me too deep into
> anatomy would be appreciated.
>
> Phil G. ([log in to unmask])

Hello Phil. Yesterday I promised to find some papers about el-stimulation.
A good friend of mine have translated the instruction for ELPHA 2000 -
TENS, I have such one and it helps me, if you want further information -
please e-mail.
Every time, and often in the middle of the night, I have cramps or pain I
use my "ELPHA", I have had it for 2 years. the price in Danish crowns is
about 4000,00  = $ 500,00 (about)
Sonia

NEVER GIVE UP

This machine - ELPHA 2000 - is constructed an manufactured in Denmark. The
machine contains both a muscle and pain stimulator, and the size of it is
like a shawer.

What is TNS ?? TENS means Transcutan nerve stimulation which is treatment
of pain and cramps without medicine and side effects.

TNS is a method of treatmenst based on electric stimulation of the nerves
for the purpose of easing pain or to have the pain brought to an end.

The idea is that after having located the pain or cramps two eelectrodes
aaare being placed so that when the electric power is passing from one to
the other it necessarily has to pass the painful aarea.

Through the stimulation obtained herby the signal of pain which normally is
transmitted through the nerves to the central nerve system where it is
registrated as pain, will be blocked.

The blocking is made by a theory (GATE CONTROL, Melzak R., Wall PD) which
in common is called the theory of gaate meaning that the end of the nerves
where they pass into the central nerve system may open and close a gate. By
stimulating with TNS at a low frequency (about 2 Hz) but so powerful that
in the aarea of stimulation vigorous contractions of the muscles will
arise, this effect will show after 30 minutes of stimulation.

As previously mentioned the method is easy to use. It is cleanly and
effective and after a short time of instruction the patients may treat
themselves as needed which means the pain arises.

from Sonia