Mary,

You asked what Emory offered that Johns Hopkins didn't?  Mainly the fact that
I live in Arkansas and Emory was the closest facility considered to be among
the "top ones" regarding PD.

The main reason I had the evaluation was to get a second opinion.  My
neurologist thought I would benefit from a thalamotomy because my tremor was
my worst symptom.  Emory suggested I not have the thalamotomy, for several
reasons:

(1)  the medications were working on me and I was on a somewhat low dosage.
(2)  even though the risk is very slight, they said, "if you are in the
minority that suffers blindness, or other ill effects from the surgery --the
risk is no longer slight, to you."
(3)  They fully believe that a better treatment or cure is coming very soon,
and I still had plenty of time to wait.  If I waited 2 or 3 years, I could
still have the thalamotomy if nothing better came along.  So why take the
risk now?  (I agreed).

I appreciated the fact that they were conservative regarding the surgery, and
I didn't have it.  They made a minor change in my medication --changing a 1/2
tablet of Sinemet 25/100 in the evening to 1 tablet of Sinemet CR (25/100).
 This was to make my medication last longer through the night so I wouldn't
have "peaks and valleys."
They suggested I come back once a year for a re-evaluation, so I am.  I can't
say enough good things about Emory.

Also, my neurologist had no problem with any of this.  So I've been real
lucky with my doctors.

Rosemary Russell  (49,  2 1/2yrs.)
Arkansas