^^^^^^GREETINGS  FROM^^^^^^^^^^
Ivan Suzman  47/10   [log in to unmask]
Portland, Maine   land of lighthouses   44  deg. F

On Sun, 4 May 1997 19:25:11 -0400 Barbara Mallut <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
>Walter H....
>
>I believe you're confusing your OWN feelings and expectations about
>celebrities and notables who have Parkinson's (which isn't the only
>terrible
>disease out there that persons of note happen to get) with what has
>been a
>very OBVIOUS response from the general list membership

Dear Listmembers,

    As a PWP who happens to also be a gay man, I unfortunately have had
to cope with the troubling dilemma posed by celebrities who have AIDS.

    In the gay male community, we AVOID pressuring celebrities to "Come
Out of the Closet."  Most of us feel that it is up to the individual who
is afflicted to decide when, or if, to reveal his or her medical
condition to the general public.

    While I empathize with Walter's feelings, in that ANY CELEBRITY who
tells the world about being a PWP helps ALL of us, we MUST be patient and
compassionate, and respect Rev. Billy Graham's personal boundaries.

     We are very, very blessed indeed that Lonnie and Muhammad Ali and
the National Parkinson's Foundation and the Parkinson's Action Network
created an atmosphere that helped to publicize Mr. Ali's affliction on
April 23.

    I hope that Rev. Graham will feel safe enough to talk about his PD in
the future.  In the meantime, we must be gentle with him.

Ivan Mfowethu Suzman,  Portland, Maine