Billy Graham and solidarity

Reading  the discussion about the solidarity that one should feel with
companions in misfortune, as was the point in the Billy Graham thread, my
reaction was different from all  who participated in it. This different
reaction is caused  by having grown up in a different society. Maybe some of
you remember my reaction on the statistics about the number of deaths due to
PD. I  repeat them briefly. The fact that that number for whites was so much
higher than the one for blacks  was  the most eye catching in those numbers.
Earlier I had read about epidemiology of Park, that it was found all over  the
world  in about the same frequency, with two exceptions: blacks in S. Africa
and blacks in the USA. I had read too that a rather high percentage of the
population of the USA only have access to medical facilities when in a life
threatening situation. The two things together made me think  that the
explanation of the differences among white and black to die from PD , could be:
blacks are simply less frequently diagnosed. I don't know for sure whether this
is true, because I don't know enough about how things are in practice in the
USA. But being a PWP one doesn't need much fantasy to understand how terrible a
situation it is to suffer from this desease and additionally  have no med's.
To feel solidarity with all PWP's in ones society  is, for people in Western
Europe, much easier than in the USA. I don't know exactly how things are  in
the other European countries, but I suppose it is not verry different from what
it is here in Holland. We don't have National Health as in the UK., but
everyone has health insurance which pays all costs.  (I, for example, have no
idea about the price of my med's.) For all people who have an income of  fl.
60.000 ($ 33.000) or less a year before taxes, (which, it is true, are high)
the insurance is collective and the price is a percentage of ones income, for
the most part irrespective of how many dependent  children are insured  too.
Every adult person has an income even if he/she never worked. Most  people
living in a situation like this,  feel health care is a fundamental human
right, the same way as it is ones  right to have a lawyer when accused.
Recently this was illustrated. Some months ago a law was  accepted to exclude a
part of dental care from the collective insurance. When it was clear that the
conseqence was that some old people would not be able to have new false
dentures in time, all political parties (the conservatives included) wanted the
false denture back into the insurance, and so it happened.
But having said this, the right to health care is not felt to be a right to the
point  PWP's, who are deprived of it in their native countries, are invited
overhere to get their sinemet or pallidotomy.  The confrontation with these
facts of life  is  more difficult for PWP's than healthy people because, if
they realize their existence,  they tend to identify  more with the victims. So
we exclude them from our solidarity. Things  like this are an example of " la
condition humaine" (the human imperfection?) It needs a coming to terms with
that "condition"  to be able to stand the confrontation. Maybe Billy Graham,
whose most eye catching talent is not, I suppose, his ease to accept the fact
of this "condition", for this reason doesn't want to be confronted with all
those companians in his misfortune. In other words, maybe he can't  feel the
influence he can have by talking about his disease as a positive thing, because
it is too small  in respect  to the influence he wishes to have. Maybe this is
the same as our refusal of the confrontation with that companians in misery of
ours, who have the additional  misery of not having health care, because we
feel all help that we are willing to give is too futile.

Ida Kamphuis, 53/12+
Holland