Ken,

Major depressive disorder occurs in a large percentage of PWP sometime
in the course of the illness.  The neurotransmitter loss coupled with
having a chronic illness is a set up for this illness.  The lack of
interest in food while changes in taste and smell may have a role-  is a
cardinal symptom of depression- along with sad mood, sleep disturbance,
and general lack of ability to enjoy anything.  (as well as low energy,
low libido, suicidal thoughts etc.  This should be reported to the
neurologist as well as followed up for other causes of weight loss such
as malignancy etc.  If there are significant other symptoms of
depression he should be evaluated by a psychiatrist.

Charlie

--
CHARLES T. MEYER, M.D.
MADISON, WISCONSIN