I am posting this for Mike Claeys, PAN
-----------------------------------
Word has come today that Senator John Warner (R-VA) has agreed to become
a cosponsor of the Udall bill.  Hats off to the APDA's Paul Smedberg and
all those active folks in Virginia (and elsewhere) for keeping the
pressure on Warner.

While Warner was a cosponsor last year, it was probably tougher to get
him this year as he now sits on the Senate Labor and Human Resources
Committee -- the panel with direct jurisdiction over the Udall bill.
Warner is the fourth of ten Republicans on the Committee to cosponsor --
he joins Mike DeWine (OH), Susan Collins (ME), and Mitch McConnell
(KY).  One more Republican cosponsor would give us an important 5-5
split, and of course two more would give us what we really need -- the
majority of Republicans to go along with all eight Democrats who support
the bill.  Such a majority of support is critical to compelling the
Committee to act on the Udall bill in a timely fashion, and will also
send a strong positive message to the rest of the Senate.

Senators Dan Coats (IN) and Bill Frist (TN) were both cosponsors last
year, as was Chairman James Jeffords (VT).  All have been repeatedly
contacted about cosponsoring, but so far they've resisted.  Calls and
letters need to be flowing into their offices!  We know that grassroots
activists in Indiana, Tennessee and Vermont have been busy, but you need
to keep the pressure on!  Reach out within your communities and across
your States, find more people to assist your efforts.  Remember, in
politics, persistence pays!  Please contact PAN (800-850-4726 or
[log in to unmask]) or your other regional or national Parkinson's
organizations for information, materials and support.

And let's not forget about the other new Republican members of the Labor
Committee: Senators Mike Enzi (WY) and Tim Hutchinson (AR).  Folks in
Wyoming and Arkansas need to get them the message.  From contacts with
his Washington, DC office, we have reason to believe Senator Enzi may be
close to signing on.  Now is the time to let him know just how important
the Udall bill is us!  Call him toll-free through the Capitol
switchboard (800-962-3524), email him at "[log in to unmask]" or
write to him care of the "United States Senate, Washington, DC 20510."

We now have a majority of Senate as cosponsors, so the sooner we have
the majority of the Republicans on the Labor Committee the sooner our
lead sponsors will have a strong enough hand to really push for action
on the bill.  Securing two more Republican members of the Labor
Committee is our number one priority.  Let's get it done!

Sincerely,

Michael Claeys
Community Outreach Coordinator
Parkinson's Action Network