^^^^^^GREETINGS  FROM^^^^^^^^^^
Ivan Suzman  47/10   [log in to unmask]
Portland, Maine   land of lighthouses    55 deg. F
<<<  On the Road to $100,000,000.00--Some Suggestions From A PWP
Whose Entire State Delegation is co-sponsoring the Udall Bill >>>>

1.   In my state (Maine) Senator Susan Collins was new to our delegation
in Washington.  I took the time to learn who her legislative aides, and
more specifically, aides responsible for health issues were. I noted
their names and asked for them in follow-up calls a week apart.

2.   I made a point of opening EVERY phone call to Washington with,
"I HAVE PARKINSON's DISEASE." This statement is HEARD.

3.   I asked sympathetic staffers in Senator Olympia Snowe's office (she
was a co-sponsor last year as well) to CROSS-TALK with Senator Collin's
staff.

4.   I encouraged my friends, and PWP's especially, to call the
1-800-962-3524 Capitol Switchboard TOLL-FREE number. PWP calls are VERY
INFLUENTIAL.

5.   I always showed patience and EMPATHY with overworked, stressed
staffers.  Younger staffers seemed thrilled to hear from someone who
LISTENED to them. They have energy and enthusiasm.

6.  I don't know, maybe Maine is unique, but we are just tickled to have
ALL OF OUR DELEGATION now co-sponsoring the Udall Bill. I tried to make
the conversations EDUCATIONAL.  I DESCRIBED MY WORST SYMPTOMS.  This
helped to evoke a really heartfelt response from these young staffers.

7.  I would recommend that if holding a phone is difficult, either get
access to a SPEAKER TELEPHONE, or ask someone TO HOLD THE PHONE TO YOUR
EAR.  It is VERY dramatic when a PWP actually talks on the phone to a
Senator's or Congressperson's office.

8.  Follow up with THANK YOU CALLS and with contact with your local
newspapers and media, once co-sponsorhip occurs, and as Sonia of Denmark
says, NEVER GIVE UP. And, SAVE THIS NUMBER: 1-800-962-3524.

Hope this helps,