Since insomnia seems a common complaint from PWPs, I thought you might find
this article interesting.

                        Ron Reiner (49/2)
-------------------

      If you're tired of counting sheep,
      Kaiser program offers solutions
      for sleepless nights

      OAKLAND, Calif.--(BW HealthWire) via Individual Inc. -- If
      you're tired of counting sheep, an innovative Kaiser Permanente
      program may put a stop to those sleepless nights.

      The Sleep Easy Education Program (SLEEP) features a unique,
      hands-on approach that gives participants tools to understand
      and overcome their insomnia. To date, the eight-week program
      has a 75 percent success rate.

      "The program helps participants identify possible causes of their
      insomnia and experiment with techniques for improving sleep,"
      said Erick Schwartz, licensed clinical social worker and SLEEP
      facilitator. "Our goal is not to diagnose or treat sleep disorders --
      it is to help people become their own sleep therapists."

      According to the National Sleep Foundation, one in two American
      adults experience insomnia, which includes difficulty falling
      asleep or staying asleep, or failure to feel rested despite a
      full-night's sleep. To make matters worse, few people realize there
      are ways to prevent and manage insomnia.

      Scotts Valley resident Belinda Cabigas, 45, suffered from insomnia
      for nearly eight years before she found help. Desperate for a
      sound night's sleep, she resorted to taking over-the-counter
      sleeping pills nearly every night. She finally went to visit her
      Kaiser Permanente physician, who referred her to SLEEP.

      "When I first entered the program I felt like a zombie," Cabigas
      recalled. "I was taking care of my injured father and my child, and
      I felt completely drained and tired all the time." The program
      taught Cabigas to stop relying on over-the-counter sleeping pills
      and make some lifestyle changes.

      "Because I tend to be a hyper person, I needed to learn some
      ways to slow myself down so I'm not so revved up in the
      evening," she explained. "Now I sleep well most of the time. A
      burden has been lifted off me and, after all these years, I'm finally
      enjoying my life again."

      SLEEP consists of eight weekly one-and-a-half-hour classes
      reviewing various aspects of sleep, insomnia and treatments. Each
      class includes group discussion and a session on topics
      including the stages of sleep, sleep disorders, behavioral
      treatments, Circadian rhythms (the body's internal sleep clock),
      relaxation techniques, various medications commonly taken for
      insomnia (including melatonin) and snoring.

      The program also reviews some general "sleep hygiene" tips,
      including avoiding caffeine, exercising regularly and adhering to a
      regular sleep schedule.

      According to Schwartz, participants keep a "sleep log" to help
      them determine the quality and quantity of their sleep. They also
      complete a "day log" to help them identify events that may have
      positive or negative influences on their sleep patterns.

      "When participants record what happens during the day, they
      often begin to see patterns," Schwartz explains. "A person may
      have trouble sleeping after an argument with a spouse or a
      stressful day at the office, or he or she may not be sleeping well
      because of a physical discomfort or illness. The causes can be
      emotional, physical or environmental."

      SLEEP, part of the new Department of Behavioral Medicine, is
      located next to Kaiser's Permanente's Santa Teresa Hospital at 275
      Hospital Parkway in San Jose. Participants must be referred to the
      program by their Kaiser Permanente physicians. For more
      information, call (408) 972-3225.

      The California Division of Kaiser Permanente is a prepaid, health
      maintenance organization (HMO) serving almost 5 million
      members throughout the state. The Division has approximately
      6,100 physicians and 55,000 employees. It is organized into 12
      local market areas which are served by 26 major medical centers.

      CONTACT: Kaiser Permanente News Bureau | Tom Debley or Lila
      Petersen or Laura Rohde, 510/987-3900

      [Copyright 1997, Business Wire]