Hi Deanne,

You wrote:

> There's also the axiom: Do not demand as a right what can be asked as a
> favor.

which to my mind just about sums up this whole PD/Celebrity
thing.  I have no objection  to WKPWP (Well Known PWP)
being approached in a reasonable manner and asked to use
their high profile to raise awareness of  PD issues.  The approach,
to have any credibilty, should be made under the auspices of a
recognized, representative PD organisation.  If after their best
endevours, the WKPWP choses to remain on the sidelines, then
that decission should be respected.  As we all know, things change,
there is no reason not to raise the issue again after a suitable period.

We can play the game of speculating as to the motives behind
a WKPWP's decission not to involve themselves, we can speak
of shame, guilt and fear.  We know about them because we have
all been there ourselves.  Speaking only for myself - I found it hard
enough to come to terms with PD, and my public profile is non
existant.  It took me years to reach a stage where I and my community
found that wonderfull balance between rejection (which manifests as
being ignored or shunned)  and being pitied.  Those of us who have
worked through to this balance, know the joy of dealing with people
who are aware of our problems, concerned for our welfare, and
prepared to give us the space to retain our self-respect.  Can you
imagine trying to achieve that when your community comprises the
world at large.  How do you deal with a community which includes
a media which has no qualms about using your private pain to
boost ratings, which includes thousands if not millions of people
ready to smoother you with their pity, which includes people like
us, fellow sufferers, more concerned with using your name for
'the cause' then offering the support you desperatly need.

Please don't anybody tell me that "the cause" justifies the tactic.
Although we are a community we still suffer PD individually-when
the cure comes we will be cured as individuals.  Can we, in all
conscience, as individuals, demand that other individuals sacrifice
themselves for us.

I think not.

Dennis.

Dennis Greene 47/10