> From: Ron Reiner <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Sleep Education
>
> Since insomnia seems a common complaint from PWPs, I thought you might
find
> this article interesting.

Our research to date indicates that sleep disorders are one of the
commonest, and one of the most debilitating complications of PD. (Oops!
Almost said "symptom"; that would have got me into trouble with *some*
neurologists.  PD can't *cause* insomnia.  But it *can* cause - sorry, lead
to (gotta watch my mouth) pain, depression, worry, anxiety attacks,
indigestion, over production of adrenaline, etc., etc., which - sure as God
made little green apples - can stop one sleeping.

Added to this can be the factor of imbalance of medication. In my case, I
work some mornings, and have to be at my brightest by 8.30am at the latest.
 This means rising about 6.30am (I live in a country town, less than 1/2
mile from the college at which I teach! :-) ). This in turn means heading
for bed about 9.00pm the previous night, and preparing for sleep as best I
can, trying to put aside the cares of the day and any niggles of concern
about the morrow.

Add in a phobia about being physically restrained, which causes me to get
anxiety attacks if I get tangled in the bedclothes, and the fact that I am
useless for about 1/2 to 1 hour after taking my first medication for the
day, and you can see why I had to investigate strategies for getting some
sleep.  So here are some "remedies" that *might* work for other PWP's:

1. Trial a plan (strictly under the supervision of your physician) to
balance any over-night dose of medication, to avoid, on the one hand,
"restless legs", an over-active mental state and that "wide-awake" state,
and on the other, difficulties with turning over, and early-morning
sluggishness.  How much, and when? Wish I could tell you, but everyone is
different.

2. Investigate different beds and bedding:
a. Firm to semi-firm mattresses, orthopaedic styles, non-sag, etc.
b. Light-weight blankets, hospital-style cotton cellular types, or
light-weight duvets (continental quilt, eiderdown).
c. Satin, silk, satinette, rayon or similar sheets; fitted sheets.
d. Hospital type three-fold postural beds. Electrically operated "assisted
rising" beds.

3. Reduce ambient sound: sound-proofing, double-glazed windows, curtain
walls, ear muffs or plugs, frequency-matching  noise cancellation devices,
etc.

4. Control lighting: Night lights, low-level passage lights, timer-operated
dimming switches, fitted pelmets and opaque curtains.

5. Investigate sub-threshold sound systems, pillow speakers.

6. Control ambient temperature to less than daytime comfort level - around
60-65 degrees F (15-18 C).

6. Be careful of diet: no caffeine drinks before bed (coffee, tea, cola);
no heavy evening meals, spicy food, etc.

7. Try self-hypnosis techniques, such as counting backwards, imagining
pleasant, peaceful surroundings, etc.

8. Avoid pre-bedtime sensory over-stimulation: exciting television
programs, thrilling books, etc

9. Develop relaxation techniques:  relaxation tapes, bio-feedback devices,
yoga, meditation.

10. Avoid over-tiredness; try daytime naps, "quiet times", etc., but don't
substitute napping for sound night-time sleep.

Avoid sedatives and tranquillisers, except as a temporary measure in
extreme circumstances.  A "learned-response" pattern of sound, restful,
nightly sleep is much preferable.

Hope I am not "teaching my granny to suck eggs", but there is a perceived
need for advice, or otherwise there would be no problem.

Not all approaches will suit all PWP's; but a balanced combination might
bring the sought-for relief.

Jim