Barbara Mallut wrote:
> Acupuncture is my next step, and I discussed it with the orthpod yesterday.
> I'm going to move into high gear and
> ask around amongst my friends to see of anyone can refer me to a acupuncturist
> in my area.

Barb,
Here's some information I got from my acupuncturist--I liked it so much
I reprinted it in "Spotlight."  He is a neurologist, and practices a
modern form of acupuncture. I've tried a traditional acupuncturist with
good results, but he is much better.
-----------------------------
You and your health professional
        Arthritis causes pain to about 37 million Americans. Although there's
no cure, the pain and stiffness can be controlled--often with
pain-killing medicines. But not everyone can use these painkillers, and
some medicines can cause ulcers and other conditions when used for a
long time. Dr. John Motl is an MD as well as a neuropsychiatrist, and a
trained acupuncturist. He describes an ancient treatment for arthritis
pain that doesn't use drugs. This is the second of a two-part series on
acupuncture.

        Acupuncture and arthritis pain.Western doctors believe there are many
kinds of arthritis, and many reasons why it occurs; Chinese doctors
believe this, too.  However, acupuncturists describe  the causes
differently than  western physicians usually do.  The Chinese physician
believes  that arthritis may be caused when  energy to the liver and
kidneys is  blocked. This could be due to  tension, poor diet, or weak
joints,  any of which can block energy  flow.
        The acupuncturist may  examine the patient by checking pulse points on
the wrist, looking at the tongue, and asking questions about the
patient's state of health. These findings will help decide where the
energy blocks are located.
        The doctor will then insert needles into acupuncture points that
regulate these blocked areas, to help the energy begin to flow once
more. A patient may feel a faint prick, or sometimes a dull or slight
"burning" feeling as the needle is inserted. Illnesses that are
long-lasting, like arthritis, may need several treatments for the full
effect to take place.
        Acupuncture has been found to relieve much of the stiffness and pain of
arthritis for many people. In fact, it has had such success that some
insurance companies now cover acupuncture for treatment of arthritis.
Also, the Food and Drug Administration now classifies acupuncture
needles as surgical instruments.
        Today, there are a number of medical doctors (MDs) who are trained in
acupuncture. There are also qualified acupuncturists who are not MDs.
There are different laws regarding the practice of acupuncture in
different states. Some require the acupuncturist to be an MD. Other
states require that the person graduate from an approved school and pass
a state licensing examination.
        To locate a physician practicing acupuncture, write or telephone:
American Academy of Medical Acupuncture
5820 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 500,
Los Angeles CA 90036
(213) 937-5514.
Ask for the brochure "Doctor, What's This Acupuncture All About?"
        To locate a qualified acupuncturist who is not a physician, write or
telephone:
American Association of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine
4101 Lake Boone Trail, Suite 201
Raleigh, North Carolina 27607
(919) 787-5181
        People who cannot use painkillers, or who suffer side effects from
painkilling medications, may wish to try acupuncture for relief of
arthritis pain. It's an old treatment that's finding a place in modern
medical practice.
--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
Editor-in-Chief,