> I always end up with a bad backache after sitting here at the computer
> for hours on end.

Barb,
I also spend probably more time than is good for me at the computer. when
at a computer show about four years ago, I was pretty tired from all the
walking around, trying to avoid people who wouldn't avoid me, etc. and my
lower back was giving me *hell*.

I came across a booth selling a product called "NADA-CHAIR" (hey, I just
had a thought - does that mean "no chair"?  Boy, ya can't say *I'm* slow!).
One of the sales people invited me to sit down (didn't need much urging -
:-)  ) and to try the device on.  I did, and within minutes was in such
bliss, that they jokingly offered me a job just sitting there with a silly
look on my face, because several people looked at me, and asked to try the
device!  :-)

It is a little weird, but really works. It is made of heavy rip-stop
fabric.  The main section is a padded half-belt about 9 inches that sits
across the small of the back, with the top roughly level with the top of
the pelvis. (There is a thin front belt with velcro closure to keep it in
place until you take the next step.)

On each side, there is a loop of webbing about 1 1/2 inches wide, (similar
to seat-belt material) with adjustable buckles, and sponge-rubber knee
pads.  With the wearer in a sitting position on a stool, bench, or backless
or wide-seated chair, the webbing loops are placed around the front of the
knees, with the rubber pads sitting on the know of bone just below the
kneecap.

Two clips on the insides of the loops are brought together, to lock the
knees into one unit.  The user now leans as far forward as they can, and
shortens the adjustable web straps as much as possible.

The user then leans back as far as possible, arching the back and
straightening the shoulders.  The effect is immediate and terrific.  All
strain disappears from the back muscles and spine.  After about 5 minutes,
the user will find that they can lean forward even more, re-tighten the
straps, and then lean back again.

I find that I can continue to get aid and comfort from the device for about
one to two hours, but then the device itself starts to become an
irritation.  I just take it off, and my back seem to be quite normal.

It comes with a booklet of instructions and exercises, and extra straps to
perform leg-stretching exercises.  For travelling, the whole thing
disappears into itself with zippered pockets.

It is made in the US. The address Is
NADACHAIR,
783 NE Harding St.
Minneapolis, MN, 55413 USA

(I think. Becoming a little faded.  And the label is, too - :-)   )

Phone is 1-800-722-2587.

Nope, I don't get paid for sayin' this.  Just the satisfaction of knowing
someone else might get the relief I have had.

Jim