Hi, Frances.

> I always enjoy your contributions to the PD list,

Why, thank you ma'am!

> and I was intrigued by
> your mention of needing to be unconstricted by bedclothes.
> Though I'm not claustrophobic, all my life I've hated tight clothes,
> even elastic on underwear, or tight watchstraps.  I loosen
> bedding in hotel beds, and I never wear shoes or even socks
> if I can possibly avoid it.  I once read that this phobia was
> connected with migraine sufferers; any idea of a link
> to PD?

I spent the whole of my working life pre-PD constricted in one way or
another, by uniforms of one kind or another, business suits and ties,
equipment straps, etc., etc.

About the time I was diagnosed, I found an increasing intolerance of
tight clothing, such as trouser belts and ties.  I also developed an
over-sensitivity of the peripheral nerves in the back of my legs and
buttocks.  There was a major problem with the popliteal nerve (at the
back of the knee).

I was inclined to attribute this at first to a motor vehicle accident
that I had been in.  However, after an operation to free-up the
popliteal nerve, and two disk-fusion operations for sciatic nerve
compression, the nerves were still over-sensitised.  This lead to
considerable jerking and jigging of my legs, and permanently cramped
thigh, buttock and calf muscles. This could often be alleviated with an
additional dose of Sinement, which had the effect of totally relaxing
the muscles in the legs and lower-back.  Now I know of no disorder
that would cause these symptoms, and at the same time be
relieved by Sinemet, other than PD!

If it quacks like a duck, and walks like a duck, and looks like a duck,
then it must be a duck!

Since then, in researching PD, I have found PWP's in every stage of
muscular tension, from "stiff-as-a-board" to "cloth-doll-floppy". with
the former being in the majority.

I tend to the theory of acetylcholine/dopamine imbalance, rather than
just dopamine deficiency, as there appear to be four types of disorder;
too much A, too little A, too much D, too little D.

Muscle activation seems to be a two-way street, with a "turn-on"
message, a return confirmation, followed by a "turn-off" message, and a
corresponding confirmation.

1. Sometimes the "turn-on" is not received; this shows as paralysis.
2. Sometimes the "turn-on" is received, and confirmed, but the
"turn-off" signal is not received; this shows as cramp.
3. Sometimes the "turn-on" is received, but the return confirmation is
not received, and so the signal is repeatedly sent; this shows as
tremor and jerking, as in "restless legs" syndrome.
4. Sometimes the "turn-off" is sent, but the return confirmation is not
received, so the deactivating message is still enforced; this results
in the "floppies".  This last effect is, in my experience, more rare.

(Again, my apologies to medicos for over-simplifying a very complex
process.)

Phew!  Sooo...  what has all this to do with feelings of being trapped,
etc., and PD?

Well, dopamine is involved in the production of the neuro-chemicals of
serotonin (loosely termed the "pleasure" or "reward" brain chemical)
and norepinephrine, which affect mood.  It is my belief that these
chemicals cause random mood swings not based in reality. These swings
in turn cause such phenomena as elation and a feeling of
"light-headedness" and well-being, or, alternately, the "fight or
flight"
syndrome, and, because the false warnings can't be acted on due to PD
-induced semi-paralysis, corresponding panic.

You mentioned migraine.  Since migraine can, in some cases, be treated
by extracts of ergotamine, a naturally occurring mind-affecting
substance, I feel there is probably a similar response.

But then, as a (former) treating medico of mine once said to me, "Where
did *you* get *your* Masters in psychiatry and neurology?"  My answer?
"In the *real* world of patient suffering."

(BTW, *never* take my ramblings on the deficiencies of a very few of
the medical profession as reflecting on the vast majority who really
believe in their Hippocratic Oath!)

And, on a personal note, do you know that the meaning of your surname
is closely related, in Celtic, to mine? :-)

Jim