> experience. Well I once slammed my thumb in the door of a '78 Buick, and
the
> pain and discomfort was MUCH WORSE than any root canal, and when the E R
doc
> punched 3 holes in the fingernail with a hot needle,  which only took a
few
> seconds, the pain was MUCH WORSE than slamming a thumb a car door, but I

Friend of mine did a similar thing, producing a *lovely* blood-blister
under the thumb-nail.  Her pain was so intense, she was willing (albeit
wary) for me to use *my* Black and Decker to drill through the nail.
Result?  Fountain of blood (from the blood-blister, not drilling into the
finger!), relief of pressure, and instant relief.

Kids, don't try this at home!  :-)

> DO remember, that my wife (BARBARA!) would not let me take any pain
> medication, because we were going to her office picnic, and she wanted me
> be able to drink beer without a reaction to medication. I appreciated her

Always thought beer *was* pain medication.  :-)

Jim