I became interested in loss of ability to smell after reading an article in
the Parkinson ( The Journal of the UK Parkinson disease society) which
appeared in 1993 and discussed the relevance of Lewey Bodies ( small rogue
microscopic particles which appear in brain neurons) and which are very
concentrated in the areas where  brain cells are being destroyed in
Parkinsons disease.Lewey bodies are also found in the Olfactory Bulb where
neuron death leads to loss of sense of smell.It was speculated that LB's
were in some way connected with PD and the impairment of the sense of smell
which was 'common' in people with PD.

Having lost my own sense of smell I was interested to read that this was
'common' but how come that when I was diagnosed amongst the many questions
fired at me I was not asked about my sense of smell? I then began to
understand that this loss was not regarded amongst most neurologists as a
reliable diagnostic tool.A year or so ago on this list this same subject was
aired ( excuse the pun) and with the help of a lead given  by Kathie
Tollifson I contacted the University of Arizona about their research into a
battery of tests for the early detection of PD and had a very helpful reply
from Dr Montgomery who confirmed that one of the tests dealt with olfaction
and offered to send me a copy of the preprint.

Most of my interest in this subject arises from my amateur initiative in
encouraging the organizers at Cambridge University of EPIC a gigantic
European research health survey to include some questions particularly
relevant to PD in their questioneer  on lifestyle and diet  to quarter of a
million people.I felt my efforts were well worthwhile wben they included a
question on loss of sense of smell.

On a lighter note  I should report that down in the quaint Parkinson village
in middle England most of the inhabitants have no sense of smell which has
had a potentially unfortunate consequence. Apparently Bernhard Mathews the
turkey producing 'king' of Europe if not the world was taking a  break from
his yacht in the Med and was enjoying a little tour of rural England.He
happened to pass through the Parkinson village and feeling in need of
refreshment called in at the Parkinsons Arms.'What a bootiful village' said
Bernhard 'Bootiful roses round the doors'. 'More's the pity they can't smell
them ' said Millie as she pulled a pint of frothy Bard bitter.Unfortunately
Millie was in a talkative mood and within a few minutes Bernhard was seen to
hurridly leave the pub speaking excitedly down his mobile.Never a one to
miss an opportunity he had realized in a flash that one of his enormous
turkey producing plants could be developed near the village and the
villagers would not object to the notorious smell from such an operation. He
was wrong and the ensueing uproar from these proposals to long to detail
severely taxed the community spirit of the village.

Odorously yours,

David Langridge.