Walter,
I strongly disagree with your views.
As it stands, I think the list does a very good job of satisfying a lot of
different
constituencies.   Any attempt to focus or splinter the list would diminish
it overall,  IMHO.

Non US citizens such as myself really have little direct concern  with the
intricacies of politicking in the US parkinson community.    In addition,
it ma not have occurred to you that not everyone  regards the search for a
"PD cure"   (inevitably a long term task)  with quite such
single-mindedness as yourself.

Other sufferers or their carers have more immediate needs that are well met
by the list in its present form.    Speaking for myself,  I enjoy and
benefit from a touch of what you might choose to call irrelevance in the
form of humour.   Even more important to a lot of us, I guess,  is the
constant reassurance that we are not alone and that others out there are
experiencing similar problems to those we are undergoing to say nothing of
the practical help afforded by participating in such  knowledgable
free-ranging company.

None of these points may do much to promote the search for a "cure" but
they all help us to endure the wait until it is found.

Regards,
M.
(CG for Margaret, 65/27 yrs)

At  16:28 18/05/97 -0400, Walter Huegel wrote in part:....
>My #1 priority in participating in this list service is to advance the
>cause for a PD cure.  ....
>It is frustrating to me when I expend my energy on the priority I have
>chosen, only to feel that this is not the primary focus of this list.  I
>recognize the importance of social exchange, sharing of knowledge about
>medications, symptoms, disease sequelae, etc. Perhaps there should be
>more than 1 Parkinson list of this type, so that you can pick and choose
>your priority emphasis. ......

Mark  Atyeo
51 Alexander Mackie Circuit
Isaacs,  2607  Australia
+61 6 286 2606
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like an apple.