Has anyone else heard this, last week, on CBC Newsworld?
Barbara P., could you check up on it? You're closer to McGill than I am. (:-)

I've obtained a transcript from the CBC:

"A McGill University researcher says he and a colleague have found a gene
that could lead to a cure for diabetes.
McGill's Lawrence Rosenburg and a Virginia colleague have identified the
gene responsible for regenerating the cells that produce insulin.
Those cells also regulate insulin in response to the body's demands.
Rosenburg says the gene and its products could lead to therapies for
people who have diabetes.
He says it potentially could be a cure, but a significant amount of work
has to be done to develop the treatment at the commercial level.
Rosenburg says his research has managed to reverse diabetes in lab
animals and human testing will be carried out within the next two years.
Diabetes is the fourth leading cause of death in North America."

and a note:

"You may be able to find out more by contacting the researcher
directly, through the Public Relations office at McGill University in
Montreal."

Germaine   CG for Bill 69/1+
Lunenburg, Nova Scotia