On Fri 16 May, James F. Slattery wrote:
> Hi Phil,
>
> > Question for Gray Miller or any of you other techies. Have any of
> > you come across a feedback control system model of the sensing
> > and muscle control elements affected by Parkinsons disease?

For Jim Slattery;

You were asking about models of the PD system: I have for a long time
considered the shakines to be an example of a feed-back system which has
become unstable.
   The demand or control loop starts at the brain, takes in the Substantia
nigra, and follows the relevant nerves to the appropriate muscles of the
body.The feedback loop uses different nerves to carry a position signal
back to the brain - a route which takes it by the Globus Pallidus.
  The PD symptoms begin because the output signal from the Substantia Nigra
has faded to such a low level that the control loop becomes unstable. The
Pallidotomy operation consists of partially severing the nerve bundle in
the feedback loop, so that the output strength of the feedback loop signal
more closely matches the signal strength from the Substantia Nigra..

  It works as a concept: Whether it really is like that I have no way of
knowing. Does anyone else know?

Regards
--
Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>