On Tue 20 May, MR JOHN C FAUS wrote:
> Hi. Artane represents a class of PD meds known as "anticholinergics"
> which block the transmission of acetylcholine, the chemical which
> induces  PD symptoms when   levels in the brain are insufficient to
> restrain the influence of this  (Acetylcholine is  a transmitter for
> a large number of nerve cell systems and only turns into the
> "villain" when  the dopamine-acetylcholine "balancing act" is out  of
> kilter.)

Hello John,  Your account of how Artane works is not quite right, according
to the story given to me. I believe it to be thus:  The neuro-transmitter
responsible for PD symptoms is Dopamine, (Or lack of it, to be precise).
Certainly, there are quantities of acetylcholine present in many areas of
the brain: It is involved in the cognitive functions for instance,  but the
neuro -transmitter which is producaed in the Substantia Nigra, Dopamine, is
the cause of PD symptoms. The reasoning behind the use of Artane to control
PD symptoms is simply that by blocking the production of acetylcholine, it
is hoped that this will leave more room for the production of Dopamine.
This is probably why the effectiveness of Artane in controlling PD symptoms
could best be described as pathetic in my experience. Another factor which
worries me is that there was a flurry of imterest recently in a drug which
is claimed to slow down the rate of deterioration in Alzheimer's Disease.
It does this by encouraging the formation of extra acetylcholine; the neuro
transmitter which is involved with cognitive functions.
   We thus have a situation where a treatment for PD deliberately blocks
the formation of Acetylcholine, and a treatment for ALZ encourages the
formation of extra Acetylecholine.! Of course these two activities may take
place in different areas of the brain, but you never know...

P Jones and Lynn Ann Berg have both been prescribed Artane - a sure sign of
the belief that it is desirable to delay the introduction of levodopa for
as long as possible. - A belief which I (and a lot of neurologists)
consider to be nonsense.

     This is such an important decision point that I have written at some
length on the subject. However I posted those writings fairly recently, so
rather than force them down eveyone's throat again, the best thing to do is
offer to send them to anyone who writes privately to me.

    To address Lynn's other questions the effectiveness of Artane DECREASES
with time, and increases (For moderate quantities) with dosage. I also got
the metallic taste, together with a sensation as if I had a dry mouth,
(When there was in fact adaequate saliva available.   I did not notice any
depression.

Regards
--
Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>