Linda,

<< Taken from Thorsons Guide to Amino Acids, by Leon Chaitow >>

So fun to see his name unexpectedly.  I had the pleasure of dining with him
at a symposium last year.  He is a fine writer of useful material, and a
witty speaker.

<< Tryptophan is one of the amino acids in GNC's Pro Ammo, there is 500mg,
that is why I waited until he was completely off of L-dopa medicine, the
amino acids in this drink begin at 400mg to 2850 mg, this seems to me to
be an awful lot, that is why I suggest deluting the drink. I have seen
tryptophan in other products on the selves, but I cannot recall any
names. Another source of tryptophan is turkey. >>

Tryptophan naturally occurs (in different quantities) in most natural sources
of protein.  The truly goofy thing is that it is not available as an
individual amino acid to consumers in the U. S. because of the scare in the
early 90s -- but it is allowed as a constituent in any combination protein
product that has any natural-source protein.  And, of course, we're
encouraged to eat waaaaaay too much Turkey once a year and more moderate
amounts the rest of the time instead of fatty red meats.  It's a good thing I
love being entertained.

<< I know it is hard for my father to restrain from using the Pro Ammo
everyday, just to get this boost of energy. >>

This is just MHO, but why not let him do that?  Has he tried it and had a bad
response?  I know you indicated concern about the amount of amino acids (and
I can't quite tell what you're saying about those amounts--I think you're
indicating that there are 400mg of one amino acid, varying amounts of others,
and at least one that is nearly 3 grams).  Amino acids occur in varying
amounts in natural sources, so the range in the Pro Ammo is not unusual.  (I
LOVE the names marketers come up with for nutrient products!  I just about
fall down and roll around with my legs flailing up in the air -- you know,
Parkinson's-like <g> --  when I see the bodybuilder energizer called UP YOUR
GAS.)  The U. S. RDA of protein is on the label, so you can tell what "too
much" really would be.  Anyway, it would be a reasonably safe experiment.  If
he has a bad response, you'd know not to let him run amok in the fridge any
more.

<< I WAS a computer programmer >>

I'm sending you some jokes privately.  Don't want to take up anymore list
bandwidth than I am longwindedly doing now.

I will have to beg off the DHEA/pregnenolone discussion until a later post.
 Gonna massage my PD daddy's legs and feet and rub cuticle softener 'round
his toenails.  It's our special time together every night.

Deanne