James F. Slattery wrote:

> Hi David,
>

> I am unaware of the effects of Zoloft, but suspect it is a short-term
> hypnotic.

Hi Jim,
 much appreciate the time and effort in the reply you sent. I've read
most of the simple books and understand the basics of the disease and
the more common drugs for treatment. It's the nitty gritty daily grind
of how the drug (pergolide) is doing and "am I feeling as well as I
can"!

I'm living an active life so no real problems yet. Not seeing the nuero
is due to my geographic location and lack of real problems.

Zoloft is an anti depressant with a wake up side effect according to the
side effects note, but at first helped me sleep. The pack says the
active ingredient is sertraline (Lustral).

I've noted the division between the "take levadopa" and "delay levadopa"
camps. My advice was on balance (because I was 48) to delay if possible.
My training is not medical, but I've found in nature that if something
is not used it stops working so I'm inclined to go along with the
minimalist approach. Also, a friend whose father-in-law has PD, believes
strongly that over medication at an early stage increased the severity
of decline. One book I read had the author recommending "drying out"
periods.

Best regards