^^^^^^GREETINGS  FROM^^^^^^^^^^
Ivan Suzman  47/10   [log in to unmask]
Portland, Maine   land of lighthouses   48  deg. F
Dear friends,

The following are parts 3 and 4 in a series of posts giving you the
RESULTS OF THE DIABETES SURVEY.

Before I show the numbers in each section of the report, I am providing
one, brief observation about the results.

Please bear in mind that we are a self-selected sample, not a random
sample of all PWP's.

3.  Coincidence of Diabetes and Parkinson's (10% of the PWP's responding)

Nine (09)  of 102 PWP's in our survey report either being diabetic, or,
in one case, having endured gestational diabetes. Total PWP-diabetics is
09   + 01 = 10.

One listmember  wrote that his mother is both a PWP and diabetic,
although he is not one of the 102 respondents.

One PWP reports that she is hypogylcemic.( I did not ask the respondents
about blood-sugar abnormalities, which would include low blood-sugar; I
asked only if the PWP's had diabetic relatives),

I would not be surprised to find that, during our lifetimes, a very large
percentage of PWP's will experience some form of blood-sugar abnormality.

4. Diabetic  MATERNAL relatives significantly exceed  diabetic paternal
relatives

The following numbers support the conclusion  that PWP's are much more
likely to have MATERNAL (their mother or mother's relatives) diabetics in
their families.

Number of PWP's with one or more maternal relatives  with diabetes:

Male PWP's   22         male PWP's  with diabetic relatives 37  =   60%
Female PWP's  13      female PWP's w/ diabetic relatives   25  =   52%

Number of PWP's with one or more paternal relatives with diabetes

Male PWP's   11       11 / 37  = 30%
Female PWP's  09      09 / 37  =  24%

PWP's with children, brothers, sisters, nephews and nieces who are
diabetic,
but with neither maternal nor paternal relatives with diabetes

Male PWP's    04  (11%)
Female PWP's  03 (12%)

TOTAL number of PWP's who report maternal relatives with diabetes  35
TOTAL number of PWP's who report paternal relativees with diabetes  20

**end of parts 3 and 4 of DIABETES SURVEY RESULTS**