When I posted before about leg cramps I left out the bodyworker's remedy (and
I'm the massage therapist in the crowd.  Sheesh!)

PNF (proprioneurofacilitation) is a system of relieving muscle cramps and
spasms by initiating movement in other muscles.  A little background (skip
this if you hate to learn stuff about your body):  You have muscles that are
the primary movers of specific bones.  These are called the agonists (and
this is even before they cramp up!).  An example is the brachial biceps
["two-headed muscle in the area of the upper arm"].  This is the primary
mover of the radius bone, and is the major muscle involved in bending the arm
at the elbow.  You also have helper muscles, called synergists.  In the
current example, the little fellow called the brachialis ["just hanging out
in the area of the upper arm"] muscle helps the brachial biceps flex the
elbow.  Then you have muscles that oppose the agonist, called the antagonists
(I am not kidding, here) and in the case of the brachial biceps, the triceps
["Mr. Three-headed muscle"] serves as the antagonist.

Okay: agonist, synergist, antagonist.  One physiological phenomenon is that,
at the instant that an agonist is given the signal to contract, the
antagonist is sent a signal to relax.  That is so that you can really move
your bones and not just have your muscles fighting each other all the time.

In the case of a leg cramp, the gastrocnemeus ["the big bellied guy on the
leg"] muscle goes into unremitting spasm.  The gastroc's antagonist is the
anterior tibialis ["in front of the tibia bone"] muscle.  Its action is to
flex the ankle up so the front of your foot rises when you take a step.  So,
the approach would be to intentionally contract the anterior tibilias.  That
means you need to hook the top of your foot under just about anything stable
that you can reach with your foot and press the top of your toes hard up
against whatever that is.  Hold this for a slow three-count.  Relax.  Repeat
twice if necessary, allowing four seconds or so between contractions.  By
doing this you are initiating the phenomenon whereby the signal to relax is
sent to the gastrocnemeus.  Try to remember not to hod your breath while you
do this.  BTW, the anterior tibialis is the muscle that hurts so much in the
condition known as shinsplints.

And what of the lowly synergist?  Nothing, really -- I just wanted you to
learn another vocabulary word!  Test is next week.  Bring a sharpened pencil.

Deanne Charlton