Subject: Artane -- Parting Comments

Hi, Brian.

To be sure, no offense taken by your intellectual aggressiveness, as
it has been accompanied by
tact, diplomacy, and good intentions. I want to assure you that given
my elementary knowledge of PD
and meds and for the sake of our fellow list members (who are
rightfully looking for "news they can
use") that I have no desire  to posture this dialog as a "debate"
(life is short... and anyway,  I never
said I LIKED highschool debate <smiling>.) At any rate, my reply to
your last memo follows:

#1. Yes, PD symptoms  become evident when the large majority (80+%)
of the dopamine-producing cells
have died off (or as I prefer to think, are not functioning). That is,
 as you put it, pretty much "the story".

#2. However, with the depletion of dopamine,  it is the excitory
effect of the neurotransmitter
acteylcholine which -- now untethered from the restraining effect of
dopamine -- engenders the symptoms of PD.  Hence, the advent of the
anticholinergics which act as a stand-in for dopamine in putting the
reins back on the acetylcholine. As I previously noted, this
explanation was extracted from Dr. Robert Duvoisin's book,
Parkinson's Disease -- A Guide for Patient and Family. You've
afforded me  too much credit by referring to this overview as my
"account".

#3. Anticholingeric drugs are far from a panacea but since they've
been around for 40+ years, they must
 be offering some benefit. From my experience as well as the comments
of other listees, Artane offered
 symptomatic relief but at the expense of profound  side effects.

Brian, I believe that we share the position that Artane really isn't
worthy of the amount of attention we've given it. And I dare say that
there is little "debate"  that the drug and the category as a whole
is not among the top ranking anti-PD meds these days. Beyond this,
your challenges in your search for the truth caused me to do some
more digging and double-checking which in turn revved up my learning
curve. Looking forward to chatting with you again in the not-too-
distant future.  Best Regards.