From:   Parkinson's Information Exchange  On Behalf Of Ivan M Suzman
Sent:   Saturday, May 24, 1997 1:29 AM
To:     Multiple recipients of list PARKINSN
Subject:        cureit: DIABETES SURVEY RESULTS(parts 5 and 6)

^^^^^^GREETINGS  FROM^^^^^^^^^^
Ivan Suzman  47/10   [log in to unmask]
Portland, Maine   land of lighthouses   40  deg. F
From: cureit
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: DIABETES SURVEY RESULTS(parts 5 and 6)
Date: Sat, 24 May 1997 03:23:58 -0500

^^^^^^GREETINGS  FROM^^^^^^^^^^
Ivan Suzman  47/10   [log in to unmask]
Portland, Maine   land of lighthouses   40  deg. F
Dear friends,

The following parts, 5 and 6, cover the topics of diabetic brothers and
sisters (siblings),
and diabetic mothers and fathers of PWP's.
                          *******************************

5. FEMALE PWP's have far more siblings with diabetes than do male PWP's.

                       NUMBER OF PWP's WITH  DIABETIC SIBLINGS
        TOTAL PWP'S
                       Brothers              Sisters          Brothers
and Sisters

Male PWP's           2                       1                        0
                          3  (males)

Female PWP's         6                       2                        2
                         10  (females)

There are three comments that I would like to mention, from this table of
results:

  1.   There are many more FEMALE PWP's with diabetic siblings,  10, as
opposed to only 3 male PWP's with diabetic siblings.

  2.    By percentage, 10 out of 25 FEMALE PWP's who have a diabetic
relative, or 40%. have one or more diabetic siblings. However, for our
male PWP's, there are merely 3 out of 37 (08%) who report having diabetic
siblings.

  3.     I wonder how this trend would look if the sample size were far
larger.  Would female PWP's continue to show far more diabetic brothers
and/ or sisters than male PWP's??   Why is this happening?

PART 6

6. Diabetic parents are much more frequently the MOTHERS of PWP's.

                                         Mother is  diabetic
Father is diabetic

Male PWP's (14 cases)                    10
        4

Female PWP's (13 cases)                  9
        4

There are 19 mothers, but only 8 fathers, who are diabetic relatives of
PWP's.

13 out of 25, or 52%, of the female PWP's who have diabetic relatives,
have a diabetic parent.   14 out of 37, or 38% of the male PWP's, have a
diabetic relative.