William Hampton <[log in to unmask]>

My Wife Doris has had PDplus for approx eight years now. In the last several
months she has had periods when she cannot open her eyes. The lids just
refuse to open. I am just wondering if any of the folks on this list have
ever had this problem and if so what were they able to do about it..Any help
with this would be appreciated.

Bill:
The degree of difficulty you describe in the absence of ocular pain or
redness, is likely to represent Essential Blepharospasm. Blepharospasm is
part of a progressive dystonia involving the lower face as well as the eyes.
 Both  Essential Blepharospasm and Apraxia of eyelid opening have been
associated with PD and PSP.  These movement disorders also occur in patients
who do not have PD --frontal lobe activity may be abnormal.
 Essential Blepharopasm is often mistaken for reflex blepharospasm [e.g.the
kind of tight eye closure we all get from a cinder in the eye] and it goes
undiagnosed and untreated for a long, uncomfortable time during which the
patient is told to use artificial tears - or antidepressants - neither of
which  provide relief in this syndrome. [Indeed, patients with PD also can
have dry eyes, but that is unrelated to blepharospasm or apraxia, which are
movement disorders!]  Some patients develop "sensory tricks," such as singing
or whistling to keep the eyes open when driving.  The treatment of choice --
after a careful diagnostic neuro-ophthalmic exam to rule out local ocular or
cranial nerve (V and VII) dysfunction --  is periodic injecttion of Oculinum
[Botox or botulinum toxin].  This is a simple office procedure with
miraculous results--my patients return every 3 to 5 months.  Ask your
neurologist specializing in movement disorders or the Blepharospasm Society
or me for referral to treatment wherever you live.
JMSWinterkorn, MD