Gray - In a message dated 97-05-20 15:39:47 EDT, you write:

>I recall reading somewhere that pd causes the
>neck muscles at the front of the neck to cramp
>(shorten) resulting in the head being drawn
>forward with resultant stress being put on the
>neck.

Dick (52/15) has increasingly experienced this problem in the past couple of
years.  In our years of observation, we believe this to be quite common in
PWP.  In one gentleman of our acquaintance, the muscles shortened to the
extent that he couldn't lift his chin off of his chest.

To counter this tendency, I encouraged Dick to try physical therapy, with the
concurrence of his neurologist.  It did seem to help somewhat, but in order
for it to continue being of benefit, he would have to do the prescribed
exercises daily, and you know how we all are with exercise....

The primary exercise that seemed to be of benefit (and the only one I
remember right now) was one in which he stood with his heels, buttocks, back,
and head against a doorframe and held the position for a few minutes.  Then
relaxed and repeated the exercise.  If nothing else, it reminded him how far
forward his head normally was, just because of how far back from his normal
position he had to tilt his head to touch the doorframe.  Personally, I think
strategically-placed mirrors around the house would be good reminders to
watch the posture, because it seems to me a PWP doesn't receive the same
feedback from his body re: posture as a non-PWP.

Good luck.  Margie Swinder, cg for Dick, 52/15    [log in to unmask]