Joan,

In a message dated 97-05-27 14:51:37 EDT, you quote me:

<< Deanne said:

 "NOTE: There is evidence that too great a degree of neck extension can
 impinge on blood vessels running through the holes in the vertebrae and
cause
 strokes. Small-boned women past menopause are most frequently at risk for
 this."

and then you write:

  <<  Is this true of the "neck stretching" that osteopaths do with almost
every
 treatment?

 Joan

Osteopaths are trained to manipulate joints in health-producing ways and are
knowledgeable about contra-indicated movements.  I think you may be referring
to the simple tractioning (pulling the head straight up and away from the
body), which does not include extension (bending the neck back) and is
designed to increase the spaces between vertebrae for better blood, lymph and
nerve signal flow.  If there is an osteopath who is putting an osteoporotic
person into significant neck extension, s/he should be questioned.

Here's to our keeping our heads on straight!

Deanne