Some subjective comments on  being a PWP and driving.

Since starting to drive again after my recent Pallidotomy, I have
noticed a distinct change in my driving style. Most noticably I am
tending to drive faster and more decisively.   To a large extent
this can be attributed to the improvement in my physical abilities,
and the return of what I think of as my "ambient confidence" in
those physical abilities. However for one group of related tasks
there is definitely more to it than that.

Prior to the surgery I found that I had difficulty initiating any traffic
manouver which required major decisions involving space and
speed (eg joining a busy major road from a minor road, or moving
from one lane into a gap in traffic in an adjoining lane).  The
problem was not in my ability to make the manouver, but in my ability
to make the decision that the manouver was safe.  This indecision
hinged on a nagging feeling that, even though I could clearly see
that the gap was empty, I was missing something that was in it and
that I should be seeing.  Often by the time I had checked the gap
several times and confirmed what my eyes and concious brain knew
(ie that the gap was a gap), the approaching vehicle was so close
that the opportunity was gone.  (Wanda - it is possible that something
like this is happening to your sister at the lights?).  Fortunately, from
the point of view of safety, I have never had any problem recognising
that a gap was to small - the indecision only occured when it was
large enough to use.

The problem is not part of my post surgery experience. Once again I
can use a usable gap at first glance.

Dennis.

Dennis Greene 47/10