Dear Fellow PWPs, CGs and friends,

Bob Dolezal's suggestion for organizing a national effort to promote the Udall
bill needs no additional "sales pitch". What we do need is a list of advocates
from each state who are willing to take the responsibility to organize their
state. In addition to creative energy, we need WORKERS. How about stepping
forward?? How can we NOT cooperate???

Margaret
New Jersey and any other state needing a hand

>Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 23:47:37 -0700 (MST)
>To: [log in to unmask]
>From: [log in to unmask] (robert l dolezal)
>Subject: A unifying proposal
>
>Margaret -  Here is an idea for focussing national attention on PD, putting
>public pressure on the congressional recalcitrants, and giving EVERYONE in
>the Parkinson's community an opportunity to be seen and heard.
>
>I have lost my instructions for putting it on listserv, so I send it to you
>to consider and ?
>

>                    A DAY OF NATIONAL UNITY -  A  DAY OF PUBLIC SUPPORT
>                                                 FOR
>       THE MORRIS K. UDALL PARKINSON'S RESEARCH AND EDUCATION ACT
>

>PROPOSAL
>
>To carry out a same day, nationwide, peaceful rally, including picketing,
>at local offices of senators and representatives who have not signed on as
>co-sponsors of the Udall bill.  Those with the disease, and at all stages
>of the disease, would join caregivers and friends to demonstrate a national
>unity and determination to secure passage of the Udall bill.
>

>PURPOSE
>
>>       To focus the attention of our political representatives, the
>>public, and the media, on a little understood and little discussed disease.
>
>>       To  involve, in a positive and productive manner, Parkinsonians all
>>across the land who, because of their condition, seldom if ever appear in
>>public.
>
>>       To show the country, vividly and personally, the pain of the
>>disease and its  devastating affect on the afflicted and their families.
>
>>       To make it resoundingly clear that Parkinson's is curable, and that
>>if adequate research funding were available better therapies, and soon a
cure for Parkinson's disease, will be found.

>>       To explain the Udall bill.
>
>>       To identify the senators and  representatives who do not support
>>Parkinson's research, and picket their offices.  Picketers should include
>>doctors, nurses, researchers and political leaders, as well as the
>>immediate members of the Parkinson's family.
>
>>       To inform and educate the public about the  financial impact of
>>the disease, and the  staggering costs we will all face as the "Baby
>>Boomers" grow older, and the potential for an immense human and financial
>>return on  the very modest taxpayer investment contained in the Udall
>>bill.
>
>>       To give Parkinsonians  - at all stages of the disease -  a day of
>>national unity and  personal responsibility and re-dedication to what we
>>are doing to overcome our affliction, and to share that sense of purpose
>>with the entire nation.
>
>THE NITTY GRITTY
>
>There are many variations on this theme.  This is but one.
>
>On a specified day, each local Parkinson's support group would send out
>press packages to their  media, announcing that, on (agreed on) date they
>and other Parkinson's groups nation-wide would hold same-day press
>conferences and public rallies seeking public understanding and support for
>the Udall bill.
>
>The press packet should contain handouts furnished by the national
>groups/coalition coordinating the effort.  That would include a "Fact
>Sheet" - a description of the disease, its cost burden to the economy, the
>current status of Parkinson's funding, the possibilities for a cure, and
>the potential benefits to society if Udall is approved.  Local groups could
>supplement with literature focussed on local issues.
>
>We would identify and publicly thank congressional supporters - and we
>would picket and publicly petition those who have not signed on.
>
>Picketing would be decorous and non-hostile.  Signs would be made by those
>picketing, not mass produced.
>
>The office of each representative and senator would be notified of the
>event, probably the day the press packets went out.  We would encourage
>senators and representatives, or staffers from each office, to meet with us
>with the media present, to discuss our request.
>

>WHY THIS PROPOSAL?
>
>First, it's needed.  It is a battery charge just at the right time.
>
>Second, it's an event rather than a campaign, which makes it time specific
>and focussed.
>
>Third, it is also relatively easy to do. The major responsibility for the
>national organization, whomever that might be (a coalition?) will be
>information dissemination and support.  Local support groups will do the
>rest.
>
>Fourth, it will be picked up by all major television networks, affiliates,
>and daily newspapers throughout the country.
>
>Fifth, everyone in the Parkinson's community can contribute.

> [...]
Margaret Tuchman (55yrs, Dx 1980)- NJ-08540