Hello PD Community,

We are new to the list (and new OnLine!).  My husband, Jim, was diagnosed
with PD over 1 year ago (at the age of 43) after experiencing a stiff
shoulder and soon after a tremor of the left arm.   Because of his age, he
was started on Cogentin (ineffective).  Then sought a 2nd opinion and was
started on Artane which he has taken for  approximately 1 year.   He doesn't
like the side effects (especially dysphagia) and has stopped taking it, not
noticing a substantial decrease in the tremor after discontinuing the Artane.
 We question whether the Artane calms the tremor/symptoms or does it actually
suppress or slow down the disease process?????

We live in Northern CA in a small community but have access to excellent
neurologists and are very confident with our present physician (I'm talking
like I'm the patient - and sometimes I feel like I am!).

We are really interested in (1) talking to others with PD in the same age
group and/or (2) PD patients in their 60's who were diagnosed in their 40's.
  Also, does anyone have any articles on the "stages of the disease".   We
are young and need to be planning ahead for "what the future has to offer
us".   It is hard to get answers to these questions from a physician who is
trying to keep you optimistic about your future.

We are looking forward to sharing in all of your questions and experiences.
 Thank you for letting us on your list.

James and Anna Keller ([log in to unmask])