Hi Anna and Jim,

Jim Caldwell wrote:
>Jim, you could experience some odd  side effects from Elderpryl (also known
>as Selegiline) such as uncontrolled movments whilst asleep. Disturbing for
>my wife especially when I persisted in kicking goals in a rugby football
>match accompanied by an enjoyable dream ( the rugby not kicking my wife)

...On the other hand, I have never heard of anyone having such a side
effect from Eldepryl!

Eldepryl can cause sleeplessness, and this is why it is taken in the
morning and at noon - never in the evening.  Unfortunately a lot of doctors
forget (neglect) to tell us this, and just prescribe it as BD (twice a
day). If you go to hospital, the nurses will insist on giving it at morning
and evening -- so one has to know these things to protect yourself.
Alas a lot of people stuggle with sleeplessness before the penny drops!

But as a newly diagnosed PWP, it is important to understand that all
medications for PD have some sort of side effects -- some in the
introductory phase and others long term.  You should ask about the side
effects and ask how to avoid them (minimise them?), rather than deciding to
go off the drug. Also important to know that PD meds should never be
stopped abruptly.

There are lots of ways of getting around side-effects.  For example,
Sinemet (or Madopar) when it is FIRST given may cause a bit of nausea, so
it is best to be taken with or after meals.  If this is extreme, then an
anti-nausea drug called Domperidome of Motilium (which is the only safe
anti-nausea drug in PD--the others can, especially over time, worsen the
symptoms of PD) can be given an hour before you take sinemet.  This drug is
useful when beginning any PD drug which may give you nausea, for instance
Permax (pergolide).

I should add that Sinemet competes with protein for absorption, so later
on, you may find that to get the maximum out of any one dose, you may need
to take your sinemet an hour before meals, and with a piece of fruit or
glass of juice.
Eldepryl actually enhances the effect of Sinemet, so one can actually (well
in theory anyway) take less sinemet and this is a good thing too.

Hey, I could go on forever, but I won't--enuogh for now.  There's lots to
learn but you have come to the right place to learn it..

Best wishes
Joy Graham (CG Bob, 56, PD 8yrs)

PS.
Ask me about the Fourth Australian Multi-Disciplinary Conference on
Parkinson's Disease in Perth, Australia, September 12-14th 1997.
Better still, look it up - full details - on the WWW on our homepage:
www://quartec.com.au/parkinsons