Joy -

Mark's description of Margaret's driving her cart very much echoes what Dick
(52/15) experiences when driving a car.  Although he has better days and
worse days, he has all of the following some percentage of the time:

 (1) delayed response time, causing him to initiate a turn or a stop too
late.  I believe at least part of this can be attributed to bradyphrenia
(slow thinking), and not simply delayed reactions due to strictly physical
causes.

 I believe it's a related phenomenon that he doesn't always detect clues that
would normally indicate that he needs to be prepared to stop.  For example,
there might be a "road work ahead" sign, followed by a sign showing two lanes
of traffic merging into one.  The traffic begins merging, with brake lights
going on progressively throughout a whole line of cars.  To the average
driver, that constitutes a lengthy string of clues that one needs to be
prepared to slow down or stop.  Yet there have been many times that he seemed
totally surprised at the slow-down, and ended up needing to stop abruptly to
avoid running into the car ahead of him.

(2) "fugue" episodes, which he describes as just "drifting off."  He can
appear to be looking directly at an oncoming car or roadside obstacle and yet
continue steering right toward it.  Usually my calling his name (or
screaming) is what alerts him and brings him back to reality.

(3)  difficulty keeping the car within his lane.  He commonly veers into the
adjoining lanes and seems surprised if someone honks at him.

(4)  spatial judgement problems - may be related to the above.  He
occasionally runs over curbs, and when having to park between parallel lines
in a parking lot, finds it almost impossible to do.  He usually parks partly
in the next stall, and at an angle.  I believe his tendency is to turn too
quickly.

I wish I could say that we could attribute his worst days to the state of his
medication on that day, but there's nothing clear-cut about when he's going
to have the most difficulty.
There are some days when he says he feels "Parkinsonian," which I have begun
to believe is a result of lowered dopamine balance in his body.  On those
days, he will opt not to drive at all.

An additional tip for your seminar, Joy:  One of the most difficult things to
do is to get over the hurdle of persuading a PWP that he should no longer
drive.  I got some good tips from the CAREnet some time ago.  About the only
way we've been able to handle it is "one day at a time."  I can just walk to
the car and pleasantly state, "I'll drive," and he seems okay with that most
of the time.  However, what didn't work was to try to discuss whether he
should be driving at all, or to suggest any restriction that sounded
permanent.

He does still drive on short errands around town on his good days, but I also
make sure I ride with him sometimes on those errands so I can assess his
driving ability.  For now, we're going to continue going on a day-by-day
basis.

I'm glad you're offering this seminar.  It's one of the most difficult issues
to contend with in PWP, I believe.     Margie Swindler,   cg for Dick, 52/15