The Times of London today has an article headed "Drug Licensing Deal
Near". This refers to an impending deal to be signed between the European
Union and the USA to make it easier for pharmaceutical companies to get
their new products licensed. This Mutual Recognition Agreement should mean
that if we have a drug licensed over this side of the "pond", you in the New
World will also be able to have it.

Time spent on clinical tests would be significantly reduced, and the current
habit of "re-inventing the wheel" in our respective countries would cease.

Hooray for progress - particularly political progress. It should be very much to
our benefit, as well as the pharmaceutical companies. Indeed, it seems to me
that it will, eventually, have the effect of reducing the cost of some of our
essential drugs.

A small problem is that the Food & Drug Administration, renowned for its very
stringent and rigorous standards, is somewhat protective of its position, and
there are FDA mutterings that this MRA might result in a lowering of US
consumer standards!

Keep your fingers crossed for a satisfactory conclusion, fellow PWPs. It will
be good for us all when it happens.

--
Jeremy Browne - [log in to unmask]
Shaking Hands BBS - +44 (0)1252 626233 - Fidonet 2:252/160