>    Jim said, "
> PD is characterized by progressive loss of dopaminergic neurons in the
> substantia nigra in the brain, and hypersensitising of the dopamine
receptors.

>    I have never seen this reference to hypersensitising of the dopamine
> receptors before.  Does anyone understand what it means?  I am especially
> curious because of the recent research that suggests that "The increased
> density of dopamine D5 receptor in peripheral blood lymphocytes may
reflect
> the dopaminergic hypersensitivity displayed by migraineurs and may
represent
> a relatively simple and reliable peripheral marker of altered
dopaminergic
> function.
>    Is this the same as the above mentioned hypersensitising of the
dopamine
> receptors?

Hi Joan,

The dopamine receptors to which I referred are those in the nerve synapse.
Gee, do I give it all, and bore the ears off most, or give a little, and
risk some saying, "say what?"

(Sorry about that, but I have received two crits, one for being too
simplistic, and the other for being too technical.  :-)    )

To each her/his own.  Doesn't really matter much; if ya got it, ya got it.

The whole process is complicated, since both chemical messengers and
electrical signals are involved, with receptors and "turn-offs" and
"turn-ons" for each.

It doesn't help anyone to know any of this, unless they are a PD
researcher!  :-)

If you are  really interested in it all, though, let me know, and I will
send you a private post.  (Don't want any more crits!  They do bad things
to my PD.  (For the techos, they produce high levels of adrenaline
products, and reduce my endorphin highs.)  :-)

Jim