> Bad timing, not nerves, may explain the irregular motions of
> Parkinson's Disease patients, research led at Columbia has found.

Not to mention not scoring on dates, the difference between a strike and a
home
run, etc., etc.  I wonder if it would explain the irregular motions of
diarrhoea?

>... It tells
> humans a stop light is broken or that the end of a television
> commercial is approaching.

Or better yet, that the *start* of a TV commercial is approaching.

> ...Gibbon and his colleagues hypothesize
> that the jerky motions of Parkinson's may result from a patient's
> inability to time smooth, fluid movement, like a turn of the head or a
> wave of the arm, creating instead a series of separate, stop-and-go
> motions.

Know all about the stop and go motions.  Where can I get the smooth, fluid
motions?

> ... Parkinson's patients were asked to watch a computer
> image of a rectangle that changed color after 8 seconds or after 21
> seconds ... The patients were unable to
> accurately remember the interval...

Gee, I didn't know my "shakes" were 8 to 21  secs. apart. I really *do*
underestimate time.

>... once thought to be strictly neuromuscular...

Not for the last 10 years or so, but carry on...

> ... In the Paris experiments, patients were tested after
> stopping their medication. Putting patients back on the drug restored
> their sense of time.

Not to mention their sanity!

> The Columbia biopsychologist is beginning experiments with the Paris
> research group to determine whether the impairment in Parkinson's
> occurs during storage or retrieval of temporal memory.

Who knows, they may even get around to actually *talking* to a PWP.

> That work could well give scientists the insights that will give
> Parkinson's patients back their sense of time and movement.

PWP's, however, do not have any insights into their own disorder, due to
not being able to tell the time.  :-)

> In related discoveries with animals, also reported at AAAS, Gibbon and
> two colleagues described components of the interval timing mechanism,
> located in the basal ganglia, that act as the body's stopwatch.

I wonder if the animals could tell when the TV commercials would end?

> Increasing or decreasing the level of dopamine in the brain speeds up
> or slows down an individual's sense of the passage of time, Meck and
> Church had found in the early 1980's.

Not to mention their sense of the need to "publish or perish".

> ... Severe damage
> to the substantia nigra stops all timing, as it cuts off the dopamine
> supply.

And eventually the blood supply, the air supply, the...

Sheesh!

And you wonder why I would like researchers to involve PWP's (using not
just a *part* of their brain, but *all* of it) in their research.

BTW, do you realise that if you cut a chicken's head off, it doesn't know
when a TV commercial will end?  Just think of the implications for market
research!.

Jim