Ida said,

> When one tells people that one has reason to think PD and diabetes have
some > common cause (and hence can be expected to be present in the same
persons
>  or families) and then asks those people to report whether this is or is
not in > accordance with their own situation, you can expect relatively
more reactions
> from people who recognise this is the case for them then from others.
This

> makes that the resulting numbers are not a base to draw any conclusion
from.

Sad to say, Ida, but you are so right.

Also, in order to pass peer review, at least in Australia, a research
project should have more or less equal numbers of affected and non-affected
subjects, of roughly the same demographics (ie, similar geographic
location, economic circumstances, age, sex, etc.)

The questions should be unambiguous, and should not be capable of being
misinterpreted.  In this case, that could mean making it very clear to the
subject that only blood relatives were of interest.

Further questions would need to be asked to eliminate (hopefully)
alternative explanations for an observation. Negative answers would need to
be differentiated from lack of an answer.

Finally, a sample size less than one hundred is not really statistically
relevant.  That means a total survey of two hundred when the non-affected
subjects are added.
Theories extrapolated from smaller sample bases must be treated with
caution. Better still would be a sample size of 1000 + 1000 = 2000.

How depressing that is to unfunded, unassisted people pursuing an idea.

But even so, Ivan is to be congratulated for expending the time and effort
to carry out his survey, and the survey does have value, in that it
suggests a possible  line of research for someone with resources.  I am
reporting his results to our research group, as background material to
interpreting our own data.

So, if anyone out there has time on their hands, and a promising idea, go
for it.  We can't know too much about PD.

Jim