----------
> Fra: Bob & Joy Graham <[log in to unmask]>
> Til: Multiple recipients of list PARKINSN <[log in to unmask]>
> Emne: Re: Driving
> Dato: 27. maj 1997 08:03
>
> We are arranging a seminar on Driving and Parkinson's Disease - and I was
> wondering if PWP and or Carers would mind sharing some of their
experiences
> with driving.  For example, how your medication affects your driving
> ability, specific problems you may have with vision, etc.
> I hope to compile these answers for the lecturer (who is an OT who works
in
> a driving assessment consultancy) for her own education as much as
> anything.
> Tell me your horror stories too if you like!
>
> Thanks in anticipation.
> Sincerely
> Joy Graham

Hello Joy.
I`m a PWP 58 years "old" - diagn. 3 1/2 years ago - first symptom 9 years
ago -. Before I started tabl. Sinemet it was very difficult for me to e.g.
chance the gear or driving round the corner and much more.
The first 2 1/2 years I didn`t had the great problems, but the last year I
very often have the feeling that it is irresponsible driving my car.
When I have had my first daily medicin about 6.00 am and are intended to
leave my place at e.g.I mostly feel it`s ok to drive - and I do it - other
times I can fell that`s not OK and I call for a cab. Other times were I
have been driving OUT I can`t drive HOME and again I`m calling for a cab,
and next day I have to take care that my car has to be braught to my place.
Today I  don`t want to drive more than e.g. from my home and ONLY when I
feel safe, but I NEVER KNOW when I`m going to be "OFF"
Instead of I have got a "driving-arrangemet" from the local authority in
Aarhus. It`s a speciel arrangement because I have to use two elbow-sticks
or my wheel-chair if I have to "walk" more than 50 meter, and it only costs
me a normal "bus-tickett" 8,00 Danish kroner - a little more than 1 us
doll. - BUT instead of walking to the bus-stop,
I order the "bus" the day before to pick me up at my place e.g. 9.00 am.and
return e.g  1.00 pm.
As I have told before we have to pay high taxes in Denmark - but when you
NEED HELP you have it.
By the way I cannot use my bicycle more, instead of I have have baught an
El-miniscooter with four wheel- caused my balance. Thats the best money I
ever spend, because both summer and winther - when it doesn`t rain - I can
have my daily fresh air and see other people - and I can shopping in our
local supermarked.

Hope you can use my information.

Good luck!

Sonia Nielsen, Denmark