Hi Marcy:

Our election system, known as Canadian chaos, follows the British
bumbling system, where a party riding high in the polls can call an
election on whim, hoping the wave doesn't break too soon--as seems to
have happened to the Liberals yesterday--though the wave held in Ontario
to give the Liberals a bare majority.

Since we don't have to take civics courses in Canada, most of us don't
even know the answers to your hard questions about Canadian politics, but
I seem to remember that a mandate can last no longer than 5 years.  If
the Liberals, elected last night, however, make a fatal blunder soon,
they could be defeated and Canada could be up to 50% Internet access by
this time next year!

Henry A. Hubert                                 | [log in to unmask]
Department of English and Modern Languages      .
University College of the Cariboo               | Ph.  250-828-5236
P.O. Box 3010                                   . FAX  250-371-5697
Kamloops, B. C.                                 |
V2C 5N3                                         .