I agree with Doug's comments. Excellent! I'd like to surface one idea
which I think was implicit in his email: Lecturing is a method to reach
an objective.

A lot of the problem with lectures comes when profs are not clear in
their own minds about why they are lecturing. Because they were lectured
to? Because their mentor lectured? Because the room seems designed for
that? Because it is the easiest method to do on the spur of the moment?

One of the best objectives for a lecture is to model an expert's mind at
work. I remember sitting in a fourth-year U of A history class where the
prof lectured for 50 minutes of each 50 minute period, and, just as I was
getting fed up with writing, I realized that I was seeing a master
historian re-interpret Nazi Germany. Fascinating.

Jim Bell
Editor, Journal of College Reading and Learning         Ph. (250) 960-6365
Learning Skills Centre                                  Fax (250) 960-6330
University of Northern BC                               email [log in to unmask]
3333 University Way
Prince George, BC
Canada  V2N 4Z9