Dear Andrea: As if you didn't have enough to do! Thanks very much. As
you'll see in another message, his name is Peter, and he will be much
amused and bemused by all the e-mail messages, which we expect will come
from all over the world. We have a weekend of activities planned for
him, including work crews to help him plant the hundreds of annuals he
puts in each year, tennis matches he is sure to win (and throwing the
match to brighten his birthday will not be difficult, since at 80 he
still plays a mean game of tennis), and rum and cokes before a gourmet
meal prepared (and likely ruined) by the four of his children still in
the Montreal region. Speaking of which, I had to turn the job at SFU
down, because I could not convince my ex-wife to move to BC (I came this
|--| close) and I could not bear to be without my kids for long
stretches of time. (I can barely stand it now when they're with their
mother every other week.) At 13 and 16, the kids will need me around for
a little longer. It was a painful choice, but softened somewhat with
tenure and sabbatic leave, which I've been granted here at McGill. O
well, it rains out there a lot, doesn't it, and now they have all those
nasty Reform party types running the show. I think I prefer the snow and
the separatists! Again, thanks. Have a fine, long summer. Love,
Anthony.