^^^^^^GREETINGS  FROM^^^^^^^^^^
Ivan Suzman  47/10   [log in to unmask]
Portland, Maine   land of lighthouses   44  deg. F  cold wind
Dear Listfriends,

    Here is part 9  of my 10-part report  on the 102 listmembers who
responded to the question, "Do you have a diabetic relative?"

     I found that THERE IS A GREATER PERCENTAGE OF PWP'S WITH  AN AGE AT
ONSET OF PD  FROM 18 to 50 THAT HAVE A DIABETIC RELATIVE.

Method:

    I was looking for a somewhat higher incidence of diabetic relatives
among our younger-onset PWP's.  I decided to divide the 102 PWP's into
two groups, THOSE WITH ONSET OF PD BY AGE 50, and THOSE WITH ONSET OF PD
after AGE 50.

RESULTS----

1.  Of 43 younger-onset PWP's surveyed, 29, or 67.2%, have one or more
diabetic relatives. Meanwhile,  14, or 32.8 %, have no known diabetic
relative.

2.  Of 44 later-onset PWP's surveyed, 25, or 56.8%, have one or more
diabetic relatives. Meanwhile, 19, or 43.2%, have no known diabetic
relative.

.
3.. The average age at onset of PD symptoms is 53.4 years for those with
no diabetic relatives, and 51.6 years of age for those with one or more
diabetic relatives, among all 87 responses tallied.  15 respondents gave
no age at onset of PD.

AGE AT ONSET OF FIRST NOTICEABLE PARKINSON'S SYMPTOMS ( 102 PWP's)

PWPs with NO             PWP's with ONE OR MORE
diabetic relative (39)    diabetic relatives (63)

18-25     1                         0
26-30     1                         0
31-35     0                         1
36-40     6                         9